The Myths Surrounding The E-Collar
By Jason Wright
June 22, 2020
The E-Collar Myths
There is a ton of misinformation and a lack of understanding of what the e collar is and how effective they really are when used appropriately.
- The first and most common myth is that the e collar is cruel and will hurt the dog. This is wrong and there is absolutely no harm done to the dog. We also let each client feel the e collar on low and high levels so they understand what their dog will be feeling during all the learning phases of e collar training.
- The e-collar takes no skill to use. This is also wrong. Complete and proper e collar training takes weeks of precise timing and repetition. It is the best way of clear communication in dog training. It is simply a better and quicker way to rid of problematic behaviours.
- E collars shock the dog into submission. Absolutely not. Maybe this is true for the old collars which only had 1-5 levels. Today’s e collars now have up to 100 levels and most dogs that we train work on level 2-10. An e collar is the exact same stimulation as you get on a tens machine at physiotherapy.
Here are some benefits to e collar training:
- Off-leash freedom and control – training a dog to be completely off-leash can now take as little as 3 weeks with the use of an e collar whereas without one could take months and even years to accomplish. You will have control of your dog up to ½ mile – 1 mile depending on which e collar you chose.
- Safety and reliability – it is a safety measure that protects your dog and gives you peace of mind knowing your dog will come every time he/she is called. Our clients have called there dogs away from other dogs, squirrels, deer, skunks, running across the road etc.
- Stop bad behaviour – once the e-collar is completely understood and learned by owner and dog you can correct annoying and unwanted behaviours such as jumping, excessive barking, chewing, digging, etc.
- Helps fearful dogs, anxiety, and aggression – we have improved the lives of many out of control, aggressive, fearful, and anxious dogs by proper low-level e collar training.
- Dog learns easier – all the information given to the dog through our e collar and positive reinforcement training is crystal clear. Clear communication means dogs have the best understanding of what we ask of them and in turn are calmer, more stable, and happy.
Unfortunately, there will always be the misinformed and uneducated crowd who will continue to speak badly on such tools because they have never been shown how to properly use them. The comments usually come from the ones who have zero first-hand experience.